Sunday, April 8, 2012

This is quite possibly one of my all-time favorite movie quotes. It's so inspiring and refreshing, isn't it? I mean, it's so true! You can ALWAYS change your life, regardless of how old you are or where you're at. The beauty in free-will is we get the option to do with our lives whatever we please. We aren't forced to stay on a one-way road for all of eternity. We, as humans, have millions of options laid out before us. Some of us simply choose an easy path; college, career, marriage, kids, retirement. But what if that isn't enough? Who says we have to go to college, have the traditional 9-5 career, and work until age 65? I want to travel with RJ, get married, have a beautiful family, work as a massage therapist, and travel the world some more. Never let anybody tell you what to do with your life, or how to do it. You are the only thing that matters in your life. Why let other people dictate your future? 

My father went to college and got a Master's degree in teaching mathematics. He taught math for a couple years but it didn't fulfill him. So what did he do? He moved to Oregon from Pennsylvania-not knowing anybody out here-got a job as a cook, and never turned back. He's worked as a cook/chef for just over 30 years! My dad is a literal genius, and he did what was expected of him, but it didn't satisfy him. He told society to figuratively fuck off and moved away from everything to start fresh. He told me once that one of the reasons he moved out here is because he hated being confined to a big city like Philadelphia or Pittsburgh. He wanted to be able to look out into the horizon and see trees and hills and mountains-not tall buildings and skyscrapers. 

He chose to satisfy his own soul. I can guarantee you, now that he's reaching the end of his life, he has no regrets. My dad changed what he was unhappy about, and chose a simpler life. Sure there were challenges, but there was also love and happiness. It has been a very long time since I've heard of anybody changing their lives the way he did to satisfy his own needs and wants. My challenge to you all is this: find what makes you happy and pursue it. Forget what your family, friends, or society says. What makes you satisfied? What fulfills your soul? If I can leave you with one thing, that's it. Pursue your happiness. Use my father's life as an example of such. He is dying at age 57, but I can promise you when he looks back on his life, he will not be disappointed or ashamed. That's what I wish for all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment