Thursday, April 26, 2012

Friendships and Feelings

There isn't much to report on tonight! My dad hasn't heard back from his oncologist's office about when he starts the Yervoy treatments, but we are hoping tomorrow we will hear something! Time isn't exactly on our side here, so the sooner we can get him started on the treatment, the better.

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about hardships and struggles that we face as humans. There's an old saying that states you should never judge another person because you don't know what struggles they are enduring. That's a very botched paraphrasing of the quote, haha. Every single person on earth at least once in their lives experiences some form of heartbreak, trauma, or pain. I have several diseases that are debilitating, my father is dying, and I have financial stress right now. I have friends who have been dumped by other friends, lovers, friends who are sick with colds, cystic fibrosis, and friends who are just stressed out by school.

I will ALWAYS let my friends and loved ones come to me when they are hurting, physically or emotionally. Just because I am carrying a lot on my shoulders doesn't mean my friends' problems are less significant than mine. I don't know how their grief and stress is effecting them. Nothing I have going on in my life is more important or more stressful than any of my friends' issues. I will always be there for them no matter what. "Do unto others as you would have done unto you". The Golden Rule is an amazing philosophy to live and work by. I try to live by it every day of my life. I'm not perfect, and there are times when I get self-absorbed in my problems and forget that other people have issues as well, but when I do get out of that funk, I make sure to ask my friends and family how they are, and I truly mean it.

I hope all of you know that when I do ask you how you are doing, you don't have to sugarcoat it or lie to me. If you are feeling down and depressed, please don't tell me you are "fine". You can tell me exactly how you feel. I had a friend tell me the other day that she doesn't like to tell me about her everyday problems because my dad is dying and it makes her issues look like small shit. I told her that is absolute bullshit and if I felt that way about other peoples' problems versus mine I wouldn't bother asking how they are doing, what they are up to, etc.

My ears and heart are always open to all of you, regardless of what you have going on, big or small. It doesn't matter. I am always here for you anytime you need me. I am so blessed to have such amazing people in my life. You all make me smile and feel so loved every day! Thank you for being the kind of friends that I am proud to gloat about. Lifetime friends.

The rest of the week I encourage all of you to follow the Golden Rule at least once in your day-I can promise you that you will notice a change in your moods! You all deserve happiness and love and I truly hope you receive all you can handle from here on out.

Love Always,
Melissa

2 comments:

  1. We approach things slightly differently but the heart we both have behind that is the same. Glad to be getting to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I'm glad to be getting to know you as well!!!

    ReplyDelete