Saturday, August 11, 2012

Part of a poem I am reading at my dad's celebration of life

The last two stanzas of this poem are beautiful and I am going to include them in my speech at my dad's Celebration of Life on the 23rd. What do you think?


The Road goes ever on and on
Out from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone.
Let others follow, if they can!
Let them a journey new begin.
But I at last with weary feet
Will turn towards the lighted inn,
My evening-rest and sleep to meet.

Still 'round the corner there may wait
A new road or secret gate;
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun.

It is a J.R.R. Tolkien poem and the whole thing is beautiful, but the end is even more fitting and I feel it will be a beautiful addition to my speech. My dad loved Tolkien and I know he would be happy :) Let me know if you all have any uplifting quotes/poems about death/passing on! Please post them in the comments--any type of quotes and poems are welcome so long as they are uplifting/positive. It's a celebration of his life, not a funeral :) Thank you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment